Django is a popular web framework written in python where as PHP is a scripting language which is used to perform different server side tasks.
Let’s see some interesting Django and PHP stats before jumping on its difference.
- More than 81k websites run on Django.
- Few popular applications built in Django are Disqus, Spotify,Dropbox etc.
- US is on top in Django usage among the other countries with more than 15k websites written in it.
- More than 500k websites are built in PHP.
- Few popular applications built in PHP are Facebook,Wordpres, Wikipedia etc.
- More than 70% websites in the world are built in PHP.
Now lets see its difference
|Syntax||It’s a Python string marked-up using the Django template language.||PHP normally contains HTML Tags and PHP code inside the PHP scripting tags.|
|Database Support||It provides built-in support for most of the popular databases.||It doesn’t provide the facility to choose between databases.|
|Out of the box features||Django provides so many ready-made components so you don’t need to write it.||In PHP, there are less ready-made components available as compared to Django.|
|Security Standards||It covers all the security loopholes of PHP.||It can build a secure website but require experienced and skilled developer.|
|File Uploading||Django allows the users to upload the files after installing the required extensions.||In PHP, files are uploaded temporarily and will be redirected to target destinations by a PHP script.|
|Documentation||Django has very nicely structured documentation.||PHP is also well-written documentation but not as Django.|
|Extension||Extension of Django file is .py.||Extension of PHP file is .php.|
|Popularity||Django is used by many tech-giants like Google, Facebook, Instagram, etc.||Websites like Wikipedia, Tumblr, Yahoo run on PHP|
Django Use cases
- Data Driven Applications
- Application where AI and ML Integration is required
- Secure and Scalable Apps
PHP Use cases
- Dynamic Websites
- Where non-scalable application are required
- Server side scripting applications
Use PHP When:
- You need to create image processing app.
- Project scale is small.
- Need to create desktop app for online web application.
- Need to developer automated serve side application.
Use Django When:
- You need integration with ML/AI
- Project scope is large and need to develop it at reduced time.
- Need to create new features on the fly.
- When python based processing is required.